Friday, November 12, 2021

Acceptance

 Day 11 of the Flash Fiction Marathon--Prompt: Give an acceptance speech

 Lady and Gentlemen of the board and CEO Dowell. You have no idea how much it means to me to be made Employee of the Year. I started 22 years ago with this company working  on the line. After going to night school I worked my way up through Admin until I have my current position in the Finance Department.

I see the photographer is waiting for the publicity shots that will be used in the anti-union campaign.

After that I know you will be voting on CEO Dowell's bonus and raise and your own bonuses. I know that you are also planning a major employee cut to improve your bottom line.

I suggest you forgo those shots. The police are waiting outside.

You see, I'm also Whistleblower of the Year. For the past nine months, I've been working with various agencies. In the Finance Department I was able to see how you fiddled the books. I also saw how you saved costs by eliminating safety measures both on the line and in our products.

So, again, thank you. It's been an interesting 22 years, three months, one week and two days.


No comments: