Friday, April 26, 2013

Library sale, perfect for a lazy reader

Ok, I admit it. When it comes to reading French books, I'm lazy. My pledge to myself to read at least one French book every two weeks has slipped to one a month and sometimes one every six weeks.

However, I eat English books. Nary a week goes b when I don't swallow any where from one to three books. Sometimes at night I hold my eyes open to get to the next chapter and morning usually start with a chapter or two or three or . . . depending on the time I wake. If I beat the birds I can do more than four chapters before the day needs to start officially.

Twice a year the Library in English nestled in the American church in Geneva has been a godsend. I could never feed my habit if I had to pay transportation prices or even Kindle prices. Also, as a person who wants to own as little as possible, books are meant to be read and passed on--with only a few keepers. Had I kept every book I read in the past year or the 23 years I've been in Switzerland, I would not be able to move through the house--in fact I'm sure my housemate would have thrown me out long ago, although as a reader, she might have kept a few of my books before passing them on.

For a reasonable annual fee I get to take out six books at a time.

Two of my favourite days of the year are the library book sale where thousands of donations come out on tables (many years I help put them out but this year my back whispered none too softly I'd be crazy to lift those boxes). 

Also part of the tradition is to have lunch: egg salad sandwiches, chocolate cake and a Coke or if it is later in the day, tea and cake.

It is the time to roam through the books and buy a few to help support the library. And who am I kidding. It helps support the reading habit, one addiction I have no intention of breaking.

No comments: