Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Being known



We'd ordered breakfast at La Noisette, my home away from home or about a two minute walk from my back door. When I lived in the studio, I considered it as an extra room I was there so often.

Rick went off to see the brownie lady to make sure that she wouldn't run out before we got there. He would be back before the meal was ready, although it is not unusual for us to chat with her.

The new waitress delivered the breakfast including the cups and the mini tea pots with the water and teabags.

Laurent, the owner, rushed out and looked at Rick's cup. "In n'y a pas de miel." He grabbed the empty cup and came back in seconds with a dollup of honey in the cup, just the way Rick likes it.

Likewise at Bartavelle Stephanie knows I can't eat anything like clams, scallops, etc. Even if it is a fixed single menu she makes sure something special is whipped up for me. I don't have to ask. Likewise she knows Rick doesn't like fish and substitutes an amuse bouche for a non fishy pre-appetizer without even asking.

It's more than service. We see these people daily. They aren't quite friends, but they are more than business people.




No comments: