Thursday, December 15, 2016

Aging

This blog was inspired by three wonderful ladies of a certain age, all who sing the praises of being of the troismème (3rd) stage in life.

I had been wandering by La Noisette, the local tea room, when I spied them. I joined in. The conversation was filled with wisdom and more important laughter.

We've learned so much. Despite different backgrounds and nationalities, much of our emotional experiences were the same.

Here's some thoughts that were triggered by the discussion.
 
Never Trust Anyone over 30
When I was 20 I believed this. Now I'm 30x2.5. I think I've been trustworthy at least some of the time since passing 30.

Stereotypes
When I was young I thought grownup women had to cut their hair short, drive a station wagon and have a white washer and dryer.

My hair is short but because of chemo chic. My washer is white because it came with the flat. I don't have a dryer and I DON'T HAVE A STATION WAGON. Also unlike when I was little if I want to eat ice cream in our car, I can.

I do not wear sensible shoes of my grandmother's generation.

However, as far as dressing one's age in the 50s that has gone by the wayside. Just check out any retirement community.

Act Your Age
So many times I heard that when I was growing. It seemed like I was either too young or too old for whatever I wanted to do.

I always wondered what nine acted like. Now, I wonder how someone in their 70s should act. At one point after seeing a mother and daughter with the mother hobbling along with a cane, I said I wanted one.

"Why?" she asked.

"When I'm on the bus, I will see a handsome young man and I can poke him in his cute little butt."

She's forbidden me canes.  Something about acting my age and not having enough French to get me out of jail should I be arrested.

I won't tell her there's a cane in my closet. At my age it is my choice just as most things are.

Miles to go before I sleep
We never know how long we have to live. Statistics for our age group do tend to suggest another 40 or 50 years is unlikely, but still each day brings new opportunities to live fully with all our senses in some stage of ability.

The last stanza of the Frost poem, "Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening" sums it up. Life is lovely and dark can be beautiful. Depth is living to the fullest using all our senses. My promise to myself and those I love is to cherish each moment with them, for them.
 
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   
But I have promises to keep,   
And miles to go before I sleep,   
And miles to go before I sleep.

I have promises yet to keep and hopefully miles before I sleep.


No comments: