Thursday, January 05, 2017

Judgemental

Years ago, my first professional boss gave me a box with what looked like a phallus, a ugly phallus at that. It was a plant.

I had great respect for the man, who wrote a syndicated gardening column as a sideline. He was a mentor in every sense of the word.Thirty years into my career, his lessons were still helping me professionally.

I couldn't say to him, "that is the ugliest thing I've seen in a long time," even if politeness had not been drummed into me as a child. Had I done that, my grandmother would have risen from the grave and schlonked me on the head not unlike Little Bunny Foo Foo and the field mice.

I took the plant home.

My housemates also deemed it one of the ugliest plants they'd seen, but we followed his instructions and within days it had blossomed into a beautiful red flowering plant.

It was a good lesson in not prejudging.

Many years at Christmas I will get an amaryllis, never when it is had bloomed, but when it is still ugly for the pleasure or watching the metamorphosis.

This year I bought them for our neighborhood mamies (the old women of the village who share their wisdom with me) and one for myself. Theirs were red: mine was the white. I'd never had a white one.

I started posting its development on Facebook, or should I say lack of development, Day 1 morphed into Day 15 and nothing.

Finally, it started to show its true beauty.



There was one day when its progress was marked by hours when each time I walked by the table, it had exposed a bit more of its petals.

There's more to come even after Day 24 below. In this world of instant gratification, the slowness adds to the pleasure of the progress discovery.


No comments: