Saturday, October 18, 2014

Chance encounters

Three people met for short periods between the houseboat and Geneva

The Taxi Driver

He appeared in a well pressed suit at 6 a.m. as requested. Originally from Morocco, he has three children. Although he's lived in Amsterdam for 25-years he would like to go back to Morocco after the children have finished university. His wife doesn't want to be that far away from them.

The Bulgarian Woman

The daughter, with her white blond hair in half corn rows, will be six next week. They were speaking in English, Swiss German and German. I couldn't understand the fourth language.

Bulgarian the mother told me. She speaks seven languages. Her daughter also understands Russian and will start learning French next year in school. 

I noticed the pink ribbon on the little girl's grey suede vest.

The woman also has had cysts and needs to be checked regularly to make sure they don't evolve into breast cancer.

We discussed medical care in different countries.

The Japanese Professor

The woman, who turned out to be my age, had her arm in a sling, and as she sat next to me on our flight from Amsterdam to Geneva, I tired not to bump her. She'd fallen and also broken her teeth. I told her about breaking my face in 2013.

She is a retired professor with study in linguistics.

My only regret that we didn't have more time to talk.

Chance encounters make my day more interesting.




No comments: