Wednesday, October 08, 2014

Water



In our house it takes a couple of minutes for the hot water to reach the first floor (European) 2nd floor (American).

I started it running to wash off my Oreal hair colour 66.6 (no comments on the number, please) to turn my white roots to its normal unnatural red.

Once in the shower with red swirling around my feet looking like a massacre was taking place, I realised how lucky I was.

In Africa girls will walk miles to carry water for simple cooking and washing, usually bringing it back on their heads.

In California a drought means there is no guarantee that water will come out of a faucet.

In Detroit, where water has been declared a product not a human right, thousands have had their water shut off.

In places where there is been fracking even if one can't light the water coming out of one's faucet, drinking it is dangerous to the health.

I have fresh clean water to shower in, to wash my clothes and dishes, to drink.

I am luckier than so many people by the simple act of turning on a faucet.

No comments: