Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Bells

 


Walking the few steps from my front door to the café at the end of the street to meet friend for coffee and conversation the mournful ring of the bells began. The hearse was parked between the café and church. The signature book was to the left of the door and flowers lined the top stair.


 

I was up in the bell tower once as part of a tour timed to make sure we WEREN'T there when they rang.

There are three of them. They are part of our daily life.

At 7:05 in the morning they ring 35 times (I think I've counted correctly). The ring once on the quarter hour, twice on the half and three times of the quarter. Four times on the hour proceed the correct time ring.

People, outsiders, have been known to complain. I think of them the same way I think of the sun rising each day. An addition to my life.

No comments: