Sunday, October 31, 2021

Samhain/Halloween


 

Celtic cultures from pagan times have celebrated Samhain which has morphed into Halloween. No matter the origin it is the marker between solstices. It is the end of summer and leads into winter with its darker nights. It leads into the religious All Saints Day.

The modern version Halloween is marked by costumed children demanding candy, jack o'lanterns, which replaced the turnip lanterns of the Irish in another century. Ghosts, goblins roam.

Thirty years ago there was no recognition of Halloween on the continent except in expats groups of Irish, Scottish, English and American. Now European merchants see an opportunity for sales of costumes and decorations. 

Personally, I love this day because we set the clocks back giving me an extra hour of life. My husband is now used to me not changing the clocks until the afternoon when instead of it being five o'clock, it is suddenly four. He pointed out my electronic devise doesn't want to play me game and changes them for me. I ignore them all.

My pagan side is happy with the change of season, the natural dying of nature waiting to be reborn at the winter solstice. I feel part of the natural world in contrast to the chaos that humanity has wrought.

No comments: