Thursday, October 07, 2021

No Logo


With all the problems in the world such as famine, war, corruption, refugees, Covid, and on and on, a logo is a diddly squat problem.

I was given by an association sweater, a beautiful high quality sweater. However, the name brand logo was on it as well as the group logo. 

Wearing a logo of something I belong to or support, I have no problem with that. What I refuse to do is wear any corporation logo. I am not a billboard that uses my body to give free advertising. Even if the logo on the sweater has a bit of a snob appeal, I do not need the logo to boost my sense of self worth or to impress friends, neighbors or people in the street.

What to do? What to do? I wanted to wear the sweater.

Years ago I covered a Nike logo with cute kittens on a sweat suit. I've gone without sneakers until I can find a pair without a logo.  

Cover it. And thanks to the dressmaker down the street who suggested a piece of leather cut with pinking shear in a pretty design. He even cut the piece. Problem solved. I'm wearing the now logo-less sweater as I write this. I can go on to other issues that have far more importance.

 

This is the tenth anniversary of Naomi Klein's book No Logo on the subject.  It's a good read and makes one think of yet another manipulation of the public.



No comments: