Saturday, November 23, 2013

Crumbs anonymous





I am a crumb addict. I admit it.

My addiction to leaving trails of crumbs may have started during a visit to Florida and my beloved stepmom’s many years ago. 

In the morning as I wandered out for breakfast. She was staring at her white carpet. There was a trail of black spots that didn’t move so ants were ruled out between the kitchen and my bedroom.

"Where did those come from?" she asked. Her tone was more curious than accusatory.

I knew.

They were crumbs from the piece of Black Russian cake (recipe below). It was something she always made for me when I went there and about 3 in the morning, I woke with an uncontrollable urge. I hadn’t realized that I’d be caught not by the missing sliver, but the brown dots on the carpet.

I fessed up and vacced up the traces of my sin.

Then, many years later, my housemate, who makes the world best brownies, noticed crumbs on the gray kitchen tile and also on the stairs leading to my room where I'd devoured several of her brownies as I work, once again leaving evidence behind.

Rick experimented making brownies yesterday. Today as we each ate one for dessert we noticed that my place mat was covered with crumbs. His was clean although his brownie was the same size as mine. 

 He added then added that he had cleaned up the crumb path from the kitchen to our landlady's upstairs. I’d taken her a couple of brownies the night before.

I have a choice now…give up eating brown food (chocolate) that leaves crumbs or try and be neater. 

Hmmmm…Maybe I'll continue to attend crumbs anonymous meetings...should I bring brownies?

BLACK RUSSIAN CAKE
1 deep chocolate cake mix (Duncan Hines)
1/2 c. salad oil
1 (4 1/2 oz.) pkg. instant chocolate pudding/pie filling
3/4 c. strong coffee
1/2 c. Black Russian (Kahlua cordial)
1/4 c. creme de cacao
4 eggs, room temperature
Mix all ingredients. Line bottom of floured and greased tube pan with 3/4 cup ground pecans. Add batter and cook at 350 degrees about 45 minutes. (May take a little longer.) Remove from oven and pour over cake while hot: 1/4 c. water 1 c. sugar
Boil 2 to 3 minutes. Add 1 1/2 ounces Kahlua cordial. Let cool 20 minutes. Slowly pour over hot cake, allowing it to soak it.

1 comment:

Ginger Dawn...A Spice Below The Horizon said...

I am glad you left crumbs! Now I know where to find you! Going to try to make this.. I might even post the results!