Saturday, November 30, 2013

Over the Rainbow

Postponing doing anything useful this morning, I checked out Democracynow.org hoping that they would have reposted an interesting show. They seldom do live shows on major holidays. Then I could play a computer game while listening.

They reposted a favourite of mine...the story behind the song Over the Rainbow and the movie Wizard of Oz. www.democracynow.org/2013/11/28/a_tribute_to_blacklisted_lyricist_yip

When I listened to it originally, it was definitely, "I-didn't-know-that" moment. Like so much in history things change meaning over time.




My personal memories of the song was a wonderful birthday party for my then housemate's father who adored Judy Garland. It was when Laser discs and players were first out.

We bought him the player and the disc, but just giving him the presents would have been too dull. We turned the house into Oz. My daughter was Dorothy, one of the dogs was Toto, Bill was the Wizard, I can't remember whether Susan or I were the witch.

Our dining room became the Emerald Cafe, and we cut out yellow squares and put them on the sidewalk leading up to the house as the yellow brick road.

Needless to say he was surprized.

No comments: