Friday, November 08, 2013

The Promised Baked Bean recipe


I wrote about baked beans a while back and people asked about the recipe. Since both the recipe cards written by my grandmother from the early 1900s until her death in 1969 and the New England cookbook which is older than I am, are part of the recipe I use they are in the photo. Some of the cards are typed. Some are in my grandmother's handwriting.

One quart dried yellow beans (I've made it with different kinds of beans since my grandmother's cards said it was okay)

1/2 pound of salt pork. (A little hard to get in France and Switzerland, but smoked bacon makes a good substitute)

1/4 cup brown sugar

1 teaspoon mustard

1/2 teaspoon mustard

1/2 cup tomato catchup (I usually leave this out)

1 onion

1/4 cup molasses (Although there are Swiss and France molasses products, I love it I can get the old favourite Grandma Molasses is available at the American stores in Geneva.)
 

2 teaspoons salt (I leave this out but my grandmother both added it sometimes and not others depending on the blood pressure of those that were eating)

Soak beans overnight in cold water.  In the morning, drain and cover with fresh water and simmer 1-1.5 hours or until skins wrinkle.

Turn into beanpot. Add other ingredients.  Add boiling water to cover.

Cook in 250°F oven covered for up to eight hours (I find 4 usually does it). Check periodically to make sure the beans are covered with water.


I serve with ham or hot dogs. Also cole slaw makes a good New England side dish.

For me there's something about having the bean pot that my great-great grandmother used, that sat on our dining room table most Saturday nights throughout my childhood that reminds me of who I am, where I came from.

2 comments:

Susanne said...

Thank you - now I just need to make the effort to collect together all the ingredients! 2 different types of mustard?

DL NELSON said...

My grandmother had it that way. She did the second smaller depending on whether her brother was coming. I should have noted it