Monday, November 11, 2013

Still learning

I was so happily single that everytime I see a new advantage of having a partner I am shocked.

Today was one of those days.

Rick is an airline buff and there was a model airplane, car, train, boat show being held in town. During the morning instead of going while I visited with a friend, he wrote. It was going to be big covering at least three large halls. One must remember that Argelès is a village of about 8,000 people.

Normally, I'd never attend, but I thought he'd enjoy it and if he thought I wanted to go, he'd shut the computer off. I was right. We blew over to the location with the winds of 43 KMH. I'd half expected to be half bored.

WRONG...

The models were fascinating. A favourite was the tiny cotton candy dealer, but nothing quite matched the detail in this model of a 1930s champagne cave.


 Everything in the display was handmade by a man after he retired. His wife described his techniques and did admit that it kept him out from under her feet. This was their first time in the south of France, although they've exhibited all over Northern France and in Switzerland. She described how the display was transported by breaking it up and re-esembling. Click on the photo to appreciate the detail.



As we walked to another hall with still more unbelievable models, Rick kept shaking his head. That people did this much for what they love with no interest in economic advantage was something he admired but hadn't seen much of coming from a more commercial culture.

Like me, he's still learning.

May we never stop.

see Rick's blog on the exhibition http://lovinglifeineurope.blogspot.fr/ He has great photos.



No comments: