Friday, December 05, 2014

The darkest day is coming

I love December with its cold.

I love the short days when a cup of tea at 4 is accompanied not just by a sweet but by shadows predicting night is on the way.

I love getting into my jamies and slipper socks that Llara gave me, hunkering down with a DVD, book or my computer. I can't put on jamies when it is still light. It's not decadent but slovenly.

But when it is dark jamies are
 cozy. C O Z Y... I mean C O Z Y ! ! ! !

Unlike summer when the birds wake me early, it is nice to stay in bed with either a book or my laptop until the sun decides to make its appearance.

The light is different during the day, welcoming yet making it clear it won't stay as long as those wonderful long summer nights when we can be out and about.

The winter solstice will soon be upon us, the darkest day. I will want something green to be brought in to remind the sun to return. We will be Dublin, so maybe find a piece of holly or even an evergreen branch.

That green is an invitation to the sun to start hanging around longer.

Some may say it is superstition, but bringing a bit of green into the house has worked every year so far.

Meanwhile, I'll enjoy the cozy while it lasts just as I will enjoy the lengthening days.

The wheel of the year turns each with its special moments.


No comments: