Thursday, August 07, 2014

Cowardly confessions

I admit I'm a physical coward. Read that as:
  • Not taking my foot off the bottom of the swimming pool
  • Considering any carnival ride more than a merry-go-round and maybe the merry-go-round itself too dangerous
  • etc., etc., etc.


Thus, when an old friend, whom we were visiting, suggested that we take two cable cars and not one but four chair lift rides to visit the top of Fronalpstock, elevation 1,921 m (6,302 ft), the gulp factor was high.

On the other hand the scenery in the Canton of Schwyz is so beautiful that looking down on valleys and lakes (and lots of beige cows as it turned out) over rode any fear--somewhat--so I hopped on and off the cars and lifts just like I wasn't scared. After all. her five-year old daughter thought nothing of it, but this kid has already been all over the world. 

The only reminder she needed was not to drop her doll because there was very little chance we could walk back down the mountain to find it.



At the top there was a cafeteria complete with fleeces to sit on as we ate. 


Comfort zones are meant to be broken, especially if a five-year old can do it. I used to tell my daughter tht it is okay to be scared but it is not okay to let it stop you. What a glorious day I would have missed had I let my fear overcome me.


No comments: