Friday, August 29, 2014

What is it about taxes






What is it about taxes?

I now only pay taxes in two countries. I once paid them in three.

I didn’t renounce my American citizenship to avoid taxes, although admittedly I did resent being taxed double on things like SS and my pensions. And I resented paying several times more than I owed to an accountant to make sure I wasn’t hit with fines that could have wiped me out financially.

My choice was basically between being an American and moving back to the States or living abroad and being allowed to have a bank account.

I don’t mind paying taxes. They are my dues to living in a civilized society. I am well educated because my parents paid taxes. Now as a taxpayer because of taxes:
  • ·         I drive on good roads
  • ·         I cross safe bridges.
  •       Another generation who will be my co-citizens are being educated
  • ·         There are flowers all over my Corsier village
  • ·         My drinking water is safe
  • ·         My food is safe
  • ·         The commons are well looked after
But you have companies that pay no taxes in the US and even get rebates. (I won’t even go into the fact they are called persons, but aren’t subject to FATCA which is the reason two-legged persons can’t get bank accounts. That’s another blog.)

There is the burden of taxes on the middle class that is disproportionate with those the wealthy are paying.  

Companies like Burger King, who grew thanks to the commons in the US providing them with the necessary environment so they could grow, now want to get out of American taxes by buying Tim Horton’s in Canada.

From their Facebook page, many customers aren’t pleased. I like the letter from the man wrote asking Senator Nelson (no relation) that all Burger Kings be removed from US bases. Why should they only take and not give back? Especially since their workers earn so little they need to be subsidized with food stamps and other benefits.

If you have a comment about Burger King, add it to their Facebook page.

No comments: