Wednesday, August 27, 2014

We forget if we ever knew

Rick and I were having an idealic lunch on our patio. We were also discussing "Love and War in the Pyrenees," by Rosemary Bailey 

The book described the Retirada, when 0ver 100,000 refuges from Franco Spain fled into Argelès and ended up in concentration camps.

Rick was obviously moved by the realization of what happened here not that long ago and wrote about it in his blog http://lovinglifeineurope.blogspot.fr/2014/08/the-inhumanity-of-refugeedom.html

I won't repeat here what he wrote. It is a moving comment on a past incident that unfortunately is being replayed in too many places in the world today.

Once again I'm reminded my problems are simple...will I make a writing deadline, what should I take on a Paris trip, did I leave the leftover chicken in the frigo too long?

I have never had to worry about walking hundreds of miles in the hope of finding safety, ducking bullets, listening to bombs go off in front of my house nor having my wall disappear with a bomb.

Fate has been kind to us...would that it be as kind to all the refugees in the world. Even better would that there be no more refugees because man became smarter and kinder.

 



No comments: