Monday, September 22, 2014

"Can you climb in that skirt?"

Rick might say I look nice when I am dressed for any occasion. This time I was in a suit for a business meeting, but I did not think anything about his rather strange question.

Thus when we arrived at the client I was merely thrilled that I could see inside the flight training simulator.

Toby, the instructor, greeted me.

I stepped back to let Rick sit in the co-pilot seat. After all, it would be his story to write.

"You are flying,"  Rick said. Now his early question made sense as I tried to climb into the seat.

A flight training simulator has graphics so real that it is difficult to believe that one is in a globe. The globe moves in a way that it is impossible to tell the difference between it and being in a real plane. The controls are identical to a specific model.  This one was a Falcon, a corporate jet.



Toby let me take off on our flight to Long Island. We made it night. We created a storm.  We stalled it and started the plane and finally I landed the plane.

"Congratulations," Toby said. "You've landed in Hampton. Unfortunately, your car is back in New Jersey."

For a second I wondered about renting a car to drive back, before remembering I had never left New Jersey...the entire flight was simulated.


I do not think my half hour flight qualifies me to apply for a pilot post, but I do know I can put a sequence with a pilot at the controls and have it accurate.

I do know that my husband gave me a thrilling experience that I would never have thought possible to have.






No comments: