Saturday, September 06, 2014

The lost is found and lost again

In Geneva we lose things very well.

There were the Celine Dion concert tickets that went missing the day of the concert. Because my housemate is a wonderful record keeper, she was able to contact the ticket agency and with a fax from them we were able to get in.
The tickets turned up a couple of years later.

Then there was the time our travel money can was misplaced just as we were leaving on a trip. What was bad that both she and I had decided on the hiding place. It was found by accident a few months later leaving both of us red-faced.

My housemate is better at locating things than I am, but I'm a silver place medalist at misplacing stuff.

Today, I was at the train station ordering a replacement for my 1/2 price railroad card. And I spent some time yesterday looking for train tickets that I had put in the closet when I was interrupted by a phone call.

Back to phones. Because of the number of interruptions I usually keep the receiver in my room when my housemate is out rather than dash across the hall.

Today, I heard it ring downstairs, and since the receiver wasn't on my desk, ran to answer it in her bedroom. Only it wasn't there.

I asked my housemate where she'd put it.

"You had it last."

I was positive I'd returned it to its rightful place.

Thus began the search. We could eliminate one room that I hadn't entered since I returned from the South.

The phrase looked high and low would cover the situation. Especially if you add and in between. And we even tried calling the number from our natel (cell, mobile or portable depending on the name what ever country you're reading this from)

Finally we gave up and went back to our respective projects.

I was positive I'd put it where it belonged.

Was senility setting in?

When No. 2 Son got up, I asked him if he'd seen it. He pleaded no knowledge.

I asked the same of No. 1 Son when he too wandered into my range.

"I took it upstairs," he said.

Whew, I'm not going senile. I had remembered where I'd put it.

La vie est belle.

However, when I just went to take a picture, it's missing again. Since I've been out, there's no doubt of my innocence.

The photo is of a like phone only black instead of white.


No comments: