Friday, September 19, 2014

Gratitude


A Chinese woman, small and smiley, got on the elevator at La Maternité, part of HUG (Les Hôpitaux universitaires de Genève).

I was there for my regular check up after my breast surgery. This wonderful health system keeps tabs on me even three years later.

Rick has put my blogs written into that time into a Kindle book available here.

All profits go to the group that funds mammograms for women. If you're a woman reading this, please get mammograms. I wrote the blogs to make sure no matter what the outcome I would give the experience meaning. Fortunately, I didn't have to write too much because we caught that naughty little tumour in time.

However, that isn't the subject of this blog.

We all got off on the wrong floor after saying the polite au revoirs. Then we got back on and laughed about getting off on the wrong floor.

When we wished her a good day, she told us it already was. She'd had a kidney transplant, and a young one, from a 15 year old girl. That they found one for her at all is a miracle. Not enough people donate organs. I did wonder about the donor's parents. Are they grateful that part of their daughter is giving someone else life?

We talked about preserving our childlikeness.

We went our separate ways, all of us deeply grateful for the gift of life.


1 comment:

B. WHITTINGTON said...

Kind people all over the work and they continue to amaze me. We just have to speak up, a nod a smile and we are told their stories. Beautiful one here. Thanks.