Saturday, April 04, 2015

A catastrophe? Not quite...

Catastrophe is a word that is over-used and should be relegated to things like death, destruction, war, plague, floods and other things like that...

This was an inconvenience that was cause for some rethinking and amusement.

Tuesday, I'd ordered a duck for my Easter dinner from the cousin of the owner. He is the same man who didn't deliver a whole turkey for my February Thanksgiving dinner but one cut up. The dinner was still a success.

My menu will be:

Apèro of fois gras on crackers with champagne
Easter egg hunt (thank you J for the chocolate eggs--and I found cute bags in place of baskets)
Amuse bouche (pastel colored whites of deviled eggs -- I've done a trial run)
Rocket and roasted pepper salad
Two potato mash (white and sweet)
Fresh asparagus (found some wild on the marché)
Roast duck
Baked camembert with nuts and fruit
Pineapple and basil blended into the juice
Coffee

My guests will include wonderful Swiss musicians, a Danish artist and Rick and I supply the writing element. But it isn't the creative talent that makes it wonderful to celebrate a feast with them. It is they are kind and generous friends whose warmth puts good vibes into our home.

I arrived at the boucherie. He is Halal. Some narrow-minded people in the village don't want to do business with a Muslim. All the Muslims I know are wonderful people. I refuse to judge any group by the bad. If I did that I would have missed knowing some fantastic humans.

Many people were ahead of me and there was much talk and laughter between the customers.

When I asked for the duck, he realised that his cousin had again messed up and hadn't ordered it.

We stood there and thought.

Substitute lamb chops. I've a great recipe that includes thyme, basilica vinegar, and bullion.

He reduced the price a bit because of the mix up.

Even with the two mix-ups his meat is wonderful and if I don't pre-order from his cousin, I do get recipes for whatever I buy. The man has some great ideas.

I am so happy I'm bursting.






 



No comments: