Tuesday, April 28, 2015

The woman who vomited

I've been identified many roles in life: daughter, sister, wife, mother, writer, friend, etc. but there's a new designation, popping up: The woman who vomited.

When I renounced my US nationality in December 2011 I blogged it. It hit me so hard emotionally that when I left the embassy I vomited. That was part of the blog.

I've been outspoken against FATCA because of the damage it is doing to the everyday expats. I've been on Swiss television and spoken to reporters all over the world.

My Swiss doctor when crossing the US border from Canada picked up a newspaper to see my photo and comments. A cousin wrote me that she'd seen an article in her local paper. When talking about FATCA, several people have said, "Oh, you're the lady who vomited." My grandmother would be thrilled with the word "lady" because of my often unladylike behavior.

Yesterday, meeting with another woman (dual Swiss-American) the subject went to FATCA as it often does with those trapped in the banking mess not of our own making.

I was still reeling from being called into my bank to explain why I sent $300 to the States each month. It had triggered warning signals. The good news was that I signed some papers and my account is still open.

She made the connection, "Oh, you're the one that vomited."

A lot of my titles like writer, wife, mother, friend I really like. Being known as the woman who vomited just makes me sad and reminds me once again I had a choice between being American or banking in my new country as a normal person.

No comments: