- Convincing my mother to live at university.
- Eloping, a highly timed exercise, where I had to beg the town clerk not to call my mother immediately, giving us time to sneak across the street where the minister was waiting.
- Living as an Army wife without enough money to guarantee food at the end of the month.
- Falling in love with Europe only to have to move back to the States.
- Fighting my way through university despite a husband who was against it.
- Being left with a few weeks old daughter.
- Raising my daughter to adulthood, not entirely alone thanks to a strong support system and having her as a woman I not only love but respect with every atom in my body.
- Breaking out of the secretary mold to develop a career that supported my daughter and myself comfortably.
- Moving to Europe with a job, a real job that allowed me to live comfortably.
- Learning French, a battle royal that will go on for the rest of my love
That path had flowers, beautiful trees, interesting rocks. There were times I knew the mountain was there but I wasn't sure how to reach the top, but each time I did.
The journey on that path was wonderful even in the most trying times. It was my life.