Saturday, May 09, 2015

Patriotism a way to control



When I was a Rainbow Girl, I wanted to be Patriotism in the bow. I had swallowed the American myth taught in history classes.

Only after years and years of reading, did I admit it was a myth.

At the same time, the principles of the myth I believe with my heart and soul.

I've been accused of being a communist...I'm not.

I've friends who say they fear for me because I'm out spoken.

More realistically, because I've been so outspoken against FATCA, the idea speaking about other wrongs dilutes the cause has validity. There are some 7 million Americans living overseas whose normal living conditions are in jeopardy because of the policies of the US government.

Sounds dramatic? Yes, but it's true.

I've heard people say they are proud to be American. I was ashamed.
  • for every dictator trained at the School of Americas
  • for every government the US has helped overthrow
  • for every dictator supported by the US
  • for every country the US has attacked, directly or indirectly
  • for every civilian killed by a US drone in a country where the US is NOT at war
  • of the inequality brought on by economic policies
  • for the was young men are lied into going to war
  • when the returning soldiers are not helped
  • at the child poverty
  • at the horrible education system
  • for the medical experiments done on US citizens
  • for the treatment of blacks
  • for the lack of health care
  • for the politicians who put party before people
  • for the idea that profits are more important than people
I'm terrified that the TPP, that secret agreement that will totally dismantle US democracy, may be rushed through Congress.

Blind patriotism, my country right or wrong, allows the manipulation of the masses. It is not limited to the US. Throughout history men have died for no reason defending some powerful person or powerful entity.  In the end they've died for nothing.

So when I speak out, I want to reach one person who may reach another who may reach another and together they'll do something to change the situation.

For evil to exist it only takes the silence of good people.



With patriotism comes responsibility to not just correct the problems but to be informed to understand beyond the rhetoric.



No comments: