Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Nov. 11/11/11


On 11/11 the Flash Fiction assignment is to write a complete story in 11 sentences with a bonus for having each sentence 11 words. Probably as close as I'll ever get to a prose haiku. Tomorrow a new prompt, a new challenge.

I can’t go and I won’t go, I told my mother.

She sighed the long sigh I knew all too very well.

She and I had had this stupid fight for nine days.

I did not care if it was Uncle Chuck’s birthday party.

All my aunts and uncles would be there with their smiles.

Fake smiles and I wondered how many of them really knew.

I suppose it didn’t matter who knew and who did not.

Would I know, if I looked deeply into the aunts’ eyes.

None of them ever said anything to me about Uncle Chuck.

I never said anything to them, although I wish I had.

Finally, I would tell my mother so she would understand.

1 comment:

Ellen Lebelle said...

What a great opening teaser! I want to know more. I'm ready to dive into the book!