Friday, November 27, 2020

Nov. 28 The Introduction

We are coming near the end of writing a Flash Fiction piece a day. Today's prompt was introducing a lover to the family.


“You’ve got it down?” Pam asked Bob.

“Yes. We’ve been dating three months, but we’ve known each other since uni. I don’t say I’m a friend with benefits, or I used to have benefits. I must say I’m in banking.”

Pam pulled up to her parents’ house, a real colonial circa 1780, modernized inside to the nth degree with the best of everything. There were several cars in the driveway, which is why she’d parked on the street. She recognized the cars as belonging to her aunts and uncles. “You’ve got it.”

“And how long will your parents stay off your back thinking you’re dating me?”

“Enough to give me a rest about having to have a man in my life that is husband material.”

“Will you ever tell them about Danny?”

“That I’m living with a starving musician? Maybe someday I’ll take a flight to the moon and send an e-mail.”

“You could try telling them the truth, and that at thirty you can make your own decisions. You have a good job, you own your own condo, etc.,etc.”

Pam thought about it as they walked up to the front door. The house was decorated with one white electric candle in each window. “Nah!” She opened the door and called, “We’re here.”

No comments: