Saturday, November 07, 2020

Nov 7: First Love

This month I am part of a group that is doing a flash fiction piece a day. We have prompts. Today's was the title of this piece, First Love. Flash fiction is usually a complete story under 750 words. One of the most famous which may or may not have been written by Hemingway. Baby shoes. For sale. Never worn."

 


“Go,” Smitty said. He was my mother’s high school sweetheart who dropped in from time to time. I wasn’t sure I wanted to go to the victory dance. Reading High had beaten Stoneham in its traditional Thanksgiving game. “Go! You might meet your future husband.”

As a high school sophomore husbands would be far in my future, so I thought, but it would be nice to have a boyfriend.

The old high school, now a community center, was decorated in the school colors, red and black. I did see my friends. Some were alone, some in couples. We chatted, we danced. We drank Coke and ate potato chips.

A DJ played hit records of 1957. When Jimmie Rodgers', “Kisses Sweeter than Wine” played, a high school senior, a trumpet player in the band with beautiful blue eyes and blond curly hair came over and asked me to dance.

For the next five years we had an off an on relationship until one night we were to go bowling. The alley was closed. He proposed instead.

We married, had a daughter and divorced.

Eventually I realized that cute and curly hair are not good criteria for a marriage. I will always love my first love even if he existed only in mind. It wasn’t his fault I had/have such a good imagination.

Kisses aren’t always sweeter than wine.

 

No comments: