Friday, November 20, 2020

Thanksgiving in the Time of Covoid

 


France does NOT celebrate Thanksgiving. Nor does Switzerland, but cities with a large expat American community have many restaurants that supply a dinner. Although for many years I didn't celebrate, the last decade or so I have with friends either in a private home or one of those restaurants. 

From a child, I found it my favorite holiday. European Thanksgivings without a celebration was one of the few times I felt homesick in my 30 years outside the U.S.

This year we decided to celebrate the holiday in France with one friend. Lydia, although local, spent 20 some years in the U.S. Like me, she loves the celebration.


From the American Store in Cologny, the next village in Geneva, we were able to get the right seasonings, cranberry sauce and canned pumpkin for pie, which we brought to the south of France. 

In Argelès, I went on mission--order a complete turkey. Dinde is usually sold in parts in France. 

There are three butchers of the five in town that we use regularly. I went into the one on the corner, Jennot Esteve. Despite it being a small village near the Spanish border, the butcher knew by my accent what I wanted it for. "Thanksgiving?" he asked.

He wasn't sure he could get a whole one. I went back yesterday and his smile told me he could. He had the wrong day, and the smile was replaced by a frown. 

When he called his supplier, the smile came back. Next Wednesday was okay. 

Then a frown. "Cinq kilos minimum."

"Pas de problème." I thought of my tiny oven. So many of the great meals cooked by French women are in ovens this tiny.


Perhaps, we'll have to halve it or cut it in fourths. Maybe half will be frozen for Christmas. Maybe I will roast it in pieces. 

It doesn't matter. I will do it, along with that pumpkin pie. Cranberry sauce. Mashed potato. Sweet potato. Stuffing. etc.

With the virus, Lydia is the only one who will join us. We have regular contact with her. We distance. I will open the table so we aren't close. Much sanitizer will be used before and after. We believe we are all clean having had no contact with those that are sick. 

As much as I would like to include the few other Americans in the village, we social distance. They are beyond the 1 kilometer limit allowed during the lockdown. I would have loved to have my former housemate come down from Geneva. Same problems. It isn't safe. 

Sometime during the day I will chat with my daughter, although we FB message several times a week. She is in the U.S. and works from home.I hope she will stay safe.

Unlike other years I won't be trying to find the result of the Reading High-Stoneham High and Boston Latin-Boston English football games. Because of the pandemic they will not played. For Latin and English that will be the first time since 1887 that the game has been cancelled.

The flat will be filled with great smells of baking and roasting. Rick, Lydia and I are more than a little aware of all we have to be thankful for in these difficult time.




No comments: