Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Nov. 17 Boots

This Flash Fiction prompt was from was to take an image from Le Ballet Mecanique, a black and white film by Fernand Léeger 1924. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWa2iy-0TEQ

I live in a basement flat in the New York City. My living room window looks out on the street, a brick sidewalk at the top of the stairs after I leave my front door.

I work as a free lance writer so most of my life is spent as a “word mole.”

I tried to get up from computer regularly and walk to the window to see feet walking by. Some women wore high heels, more wear trainers. I suspected they carried their good shoes to the offices. I did an article about that once. There were women’s jean-clad legs pushing babies in push chairs or full prams.

I loved imagining  where they were going, what they might be buying, who they might be meeting – a lover? a potential new boss? an old friend?

Or that is how it used to be.

I put a board over my window with only a peep hole to check if it is safe to leave. I don’t see any more high heels, but Jack boots.

I hear chants, screams, sirens. I hear breaking glass. So far no one has come to beat on my door


No comments: