Monday, March 09, 2015

A bittersweet concert


Oxymoron can be described by the word bittersweet and bittersweet can be described in emotion by the concert held in the church by the Argelès Gospel singers.

This was my late friend Barbara's choir that she loved so passionately, but passionately was the way she lived her entire 78 years. She should have been in the back row singing with the passion that made her so wonderful. She lives on the scarves around the necks of the choristers made by her from her African cloth. They wore them for the second part of the concert and I did not cry, although I wanted to.


Best guesstimate over 1,200 people listened. The solos, by the leader Alain Martin, would have pleased her as much as they did me. I can never get enough of his singing. I half didn't want to go, half did and Rick kinda pushed me in the right way. It is a necessary step in moving on.

Several choir people, including Alain greeted me (I was a groupie when Barbara was alive) asked me how I was doing, how her daughters were doing. 

It is still hard. She was worth it.

For a sample of Alain's voice and his tribute to her, play this.

The bitter is that she is no longer with us. The sweet was how she made my world and that of so many others better.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Very moving Donnalane , it is wonderful that your dear friend this way