Tuesday, March 10, 2015

A painful subject



My last passport doesn't look like this. It has a big hole in it because I renounced my American nationality.

It hurt.

http://theexpatwriter.blogspot.ch/2011/12/one-of-saddest-days.html

After I took proof I had renounced to my banks (and don't think I'm rich, numbers were in the low five figures in three places) they were willing once again to do business with me which was why I renounced in the first place. I could continue to live in Switzerland and bank like an ordinary person.

Although I'm not a big fan of banks, I understand why they succumbed  to the threats of the US government and FATCA.

I never saw my name on those listed by the State Department. Other renouncées have said the same thing. Among us we think the almost 4,000 renouncée figures from last year have been fudged.

The American Association of Americans Overseas has reported that Freedom of Information requests on those numbers have gone unanswered.

One expat pointed out that it was ludicrous to think the relinquishments per country (190 countries x 20), as is stated by the Federal register is true.

An expat from London said an American vice council told him the number was about 20 per week. Another said there were 5 weekly in Belgium.

I'd love to know the real numbers.

No comments: