Thursday, March 19, 2015

How do you answer


 The mamie's front door features a plant with attitude.

How do you answer your favorite mamie when she asks, "How do you keep getting prettier and prettier?"

When I look in the mirror,I see my grandmother. The mirror doesn't break from the shock of my face, but pretty was how I would have described myself twenty years ago, not now. I told her my age. She is four years older than I am and looks a lot more. I wonder what a makeover would do for her because she has wonderful bone structure. Since I consider myself a chipmunk, her bones give her a beauty that a hairstyle other than a gray ponytail would enhance.

But it isn't about looks. Every time I chat with her, despite the heavy Catalan accent, I learn something.

"I'm writing about my life," she said.

She said she thought of her life as a peach. There's a seed, pulp and skin, in another words different depths. The trees, the leaves, the peach blossoms and leaves all contributed to her development. And we can't forget the bees.

The woman has the soul of a poet.


1 comment:

Angela said...

That's lovely Donnalane . Thanks for sharing