Saturday, March 14, 2015

Stop and smell the bark

There was a period in my life when I:
  • worked a full-time demanding job
  • was renovating a house with friends, a real handyman's nightmare
  • had a wonderful pre-teen daughter
  • was going to grad school
My relaxation reading was limited, but there was a book by a woman who talked about enjoying little things: a flower, a cloud, the breeze on her face.

I was so occupied with details and trying to get through each day, I hadn't seen or felt any of these things.

Somethings couldn't be eliminated. Work provided my livelihood, my daughter was a permanent fixture, the house still needed renovating, but grad school could go.

Since that time I've tried to take time to enjoy the small details that bring beauty or amusement into my life.

An example?

Walking to a friend's yesterday, I was stopped by the color of the bark on a series of a trees.

Taking time to stop and smell the roses is a cliché, but I'm happy to stop and see the bark.


No comments: