Monday, March 23, 2015

Hans Erni (1909-2015)




To live to be 106 is not an opportunity given to many. To be able to work with your passion until you die is even a greater gift.

My housemate had often spoken of how much she liked the artist Hans Erni, someone I had not come across. Coming back from the mountains last October, she stopped at a church and told me to go in. This was about as expected as her putting me on a space ship, but I did.


I was faced with the unusual work of Hans Erni. We talked about him on the way back, and I’ve continued to research him and his work.

He had illustrated postage stamps and murals. However, his design for Swiss money was turned down because of his communist sympathies. It is impossible to highlight all of his accomplishments.

The Museum of Transport has a large collection of his works, and I’m hoping that I can convince my housemate that this would be a great place for one of our adventures.

This is his website.



No comments: