Sunday, March 01, 2015

Clothes are my friends

I'm not just a blog writer, I'm a blog reader.

This blog http://expatangie.blogspot.fr/2015/02/poems-from-when-i-was-ten-my-party-dress.html about a party dress triggered clothes memories.

Every fall while I was in grade school, my mother would buy me five outfits, one for each day of the week and a "good" dress that would be for parties, or special events. There were two play outfits, one of which was to be changed into as soon as I came home from school. 

As a teenager my mother had a clothing business which she ran on a party plan. It allowed her to be home with my brother and myself and she only had to work six months a year. However, she felt that I was a walking billboard so I could go almost a month without wearing the same thing. 


In seventh grade I wanted a straight skirt like grownups wore. One of the suppliers had a brown watch straight skirt, but with three pleats that were about five inches below the waist. I wore that skirt until my forties when I put on too many pounds. It still looked new when I gave it to Goodwill.

I keep my clothes forever, updating them with accessories. Each one contains memories of events that happened during the wearing. They are friends who one doesn't cast off.




No comments: