Sunday, March 15, 2015

Week 1 52 budget challenge report



I'm taking the the 52 week budget challenge, ways to change your spending habits to waste less money or even better increase savings. Last week's goal was to plan a weeks food in advance.

In my single days I did that. Now, it is harder. 

Rick and I alternate who is cooking each day and his idea of cooking is to go to one of the local restaurants, nor do I object. Most of them have daily specials that are really quite economical.

And he does cook sometimes and although he's learning, he has produced some pretty impressive meals.

I've been known to buy my-turn meals from one of the butchers who produce excellent complete dishes, that aren't much more expensive than doing it from scratch. 

However, last minute decisions with all the good local and seasonal veggies at the green grocers less than a block away are easy. And I'm always conscious of having healthy meals with plenty of veggies, fruits, grains, etc. If I never had meat that would be okay, but he's not ready for that. He'll even try fish every now and then, but he hasn't learned the French word poisson which is very close to poison as my fish-hating friend RB2 pointed out.

My idea was always to cook once for a couple or more days twice and alternate the meals. Slowly, Rick is learning to like leftovers. We call it a frigo dump.

We do make it a point to have a sit down lunch everyday where we can talk, plan, laugh, catch up. Even when we're writing in almost the same space, we can get too caught up to forget to share.

Throwing away food is an anathema to me. We only threw out the leftover leftovers this week and only once. Better than usual.

Our frigo at the end of the week. I had to show off the magnets bought in each place we travelled over the the last two years.

Onto the next week.

 

No comments: