Sunday, March 22, 2015

Abby Martin is alive and well and fighting the good fight



I first learned that the US press didn't always cover the full story in the late 1980s when the US shot down the Iranian airbus. I was horrified by the pictures of nets scooping up bodies from the sea that were shown on French TV where I was living.

When I talked to my US-based friends, none of them had seen the photos or videos.

My second awakening was watching reportage of the First Gulf War on British, American, French and German TV. One would have thought they were four different wars because the perspective of the coverage was so radically different.

Although I'm not as much of a news junkie as I was, but I still check out the media in several different countries, liberal and conservative from places like China, Japan, Britain, France, Switzerland, Israel, Palestine, etc. depending on the issue. Each, of course, has its own slant. Maybe, just maybe putting them together and reality seeps in.

RT was a station I enjoyed and really felt badly when Abby Martin left. She was a kickass type of woman who seemed to not be cowed by much.

I was right. She has created mediaroots.org

This is how she describes it.

"The root system of a tree is five times more extensive than the tree itself, and reaches far underground to form a solid base for growth and nourishment. Just as this root system is integral to the survival of the tree, media is integral to the foundation and survival of a democracy. Media Roots is a citizen journalism project that reports the news from outside of party lines while providing a collaborative forum for conscious citizens, artists and activists to unite."

Go Abby...




No comments: