Saturday, June 06, 2015

I'm living my dream


YEARS ago, I read about writers Marge Piercy and Ira Wood working together in their Cape Cod home. At that time I was a budding writer working on Heretics and Lovers* still using an IBM Selectric in my Wigglesworth Street, Boston bedroom.

Then there was Nicci Gerrard and Sean French who write together as Nicci French.

Although I'm not prone to jealousy, I was thinking how wonderful that would be to share writing with a soul mate. Of course, I don't know if they argued about whose turn it was to get lunch, whether to end a sentence with a preposition or if there was a dog to walk. When one has a dream one can put whatever they want into it.

Now I'm living that dream in our Andorran hideaway (even if sunny days are slowing our writing). 

When we were first married, I worked in the Nest (my studio) and Rick in the Warren (our flat two doors away). I was afraid we would interrupt each other's concentration. When a cold sent me to bed in the Warren with my laptop, I discovered I could write with Rick nearby. He could too.

Now we write in separate rooms in Argelès separated by just a few feet and on different floors when we are in Geneva. 

This week we are working in total complicity on the same table. A dream come true.

Life is good.


*Never published but part of it was used in the published Murder in Paris.

No comments: